Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A New Poll

I apologize that there was no post yesterday. It’s the first time since beginning this blog that I haven’t posted at least a few lines of my increasingly inane ramblings. To make up for that, there will be two, count ‘em, two posts today.

This post, today’s first, deals with our new poll. I’ve been thinking long and hard about what question I want to ask of all my loyal readers. Yes, both of you. I wanted the question to be something that dealt with the real issues of today’s world while still having a hint of nostalgia to it. That, after all, is one of the many running themes of this blog. How does one reconcile the experiences of their youth with the rapidly changing world around us? How do we, as adults, face the challenges of parenthood while remaining young at heart ourselves? Didn’t know this blog was so deep, did you?

Anyway, I pondered all this as I listened to my iPod and cut my grass yesterday. As I bent down to empty the bag, I noticed something. It was one of the largest bugs of its particular species that I had ever seen. It was on its back, its legs writhing around in the air. Helpful as I am to all of Earth’s creatures, I reached down and gave it a little poke with my gloved finger, causing it to curl up into a ball. When it uncurled, it was back on its feet again and crawled away, back into the grass that I had obviously just propelled it from with my lawnmower.

By now you can probably picture the bug of which I speak. As I looked at it, I realized that I know this bug by two names. When I grew up, I called it a pill bug. My sons, however, call it a roly-poly, which has led me to begin calling it that as well. However, when not speaking to my sons about one of these insects, my mind instinctively returns to the term, pill bug.

While I don’t think using this terminology leaves me all by my lonesome, I do believe I am in the minority here. But, I’d like to make sure. So, please, answer the poll in the left hand column. Is the bug you see there a pill bug or a roly-poly? I’d like to know what you think.

Together, we can find a solution to life’s most difficult questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment