Saturday, April 16, 2011

An Open Letter to Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

On two separate occasions during our Geek Tournament in the month of March, you commented that the television series, Firefly, should have received a higher seed. I was flattered to have anyone commenting on my blog posts, especially somebody with such an exotic name (Anonymous, is that Greek?), and appreciated your input. However, I disagreed with you and said I felt Firefly was in the place where it deserved to be, but that perhaps I would change its seeding next year.

I am still not sure who you are. I don't know if you even continue to read Transformer Generation Dad. Perhaps this message will be sent out into the cosmos, never having reached its intended target due to his/her frustration over Firefly facing Lord of the Rings in the first round. I hope you still follow this blog, because I have something important to tell you.

I have to admit that I had seen merely bits and pieces of Firefly prior to Transformer Generation Dad's Geek Tournament. It seemed alright, but from the little I saw, not my cup of tea (I prefer coffee). The reason I included it in the tournament in the first place was because I knew plenty of other geek's enjoyed it. This happened in many aspects of the tournament. For instance, I always chose Lego and Nerf over Dungeons & Dragons, but the geek status of D&D is absolutely legendary, so it was awarded the number one seed. It was not a personal preference that seeded Firefly so low, rather it was an acknowledgement of its need to be included that squeezed it in.

That was how I felt, and felt justified in feeling how I felt. I even made myself a celebratory banner out of felt (See what I did there? That's a homonym. Speaking of which, I went to high school with a Homonym. Any relation?) but soon felt another feeling that forced me to feel what I felt was not how I ought to have felt.

To be clear, I thought repeatedly of your comments and thought I should give the series I barely included in the Geek Tournament another chance. That recently became possible through the magic of the iPad's Netflix app.

Over the past two weeks, I have been watching Firefly from the beginning. I never knew what I was missing. I find myself now letting my mind drift from the current conversation I'm having with someone at work to thoughts regarding when I will be able to get some free time to watch the next episode. Having seen the series from the beginning now as it was intended, I can suddenly appreciate the characters more and the ways they interact on a completely different level. Firefly really is a rare gem, it's an incredible shame that it wasn't on longer and it sucks that the stars can't seem to align in order to get it back into production.

I don't know who you are, Anonymous. I'm guessing that we have never met, though it is possible we have. Even so, you probably do not know me very well, but if you did, you would realize how much it pains me to say the following words and what great care and irrational action I take in order to avoid uttering them. If you knew me, you would understand what a great honor I am bestowing upon you now by telling you the three words in the English language I most hate to say or write: You were right.

I'll be damned if I don't think Firefly is the best Science Fiction television show of all time. I used to think Star Trek and Dr. Who were untouchable, but Firefly has catapulted right up there in the running for the top spot in my humble opinion. I dare say, I've found Serenity (there's another homonym! I wonder what he's up to).

So there you have it, random, unknown reader. If you are still reading and can ever find it in your heart to forgive me, I would encourage an email to madcap1417@gmail.com so that I can find out where to send you a more formal apology in the form of a Transformer Generation Dad t-shirt. You will need to answer just a few questions just to verify you are in fact the comment poster of which I speak.

Sincerely,
Transformer Generation Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment