Thursday, October 14, 2010

Better Late Weekly Updates Than None

I'm so sorry that I have been missing in action. Although, the biggest factor contributing to my lack of posts and updates has been my work schedule. My job is a dull, money and benefit providing activity which provides me absolutely satisfaction, but manages to keep me away from a computer consistently enough to interfere with this blog. Please accept my apology as I was trapped for a few days in that mental prison which also happens to feed off of my time and misery.

But I'm back (I may as well apologize for that too).

Also, please forgive me for posting on a Thursday without the third person voice, but I needed to update the weekly features before it was too late. Without any further ado...

Sunday was 10-10-10 and had I posted new weekly features then, my list would have seemed far more clever. Be that as it may, this week's top five list has morphed into a top ten list and is my favorite top ten number tens from the world of sports:

10. Eli Manning - Not a huge fan, but he's a current, well-known #10 who just so happened to beat the Patriots in a Super Bowl that I really wanted to see them lose, so he gets a little credit.

9. Walt Frazier - Great old school point guard even though he played for the Knicks (who suck, by the way. I never thought I'd be grateful for anything Isaiah Thomas would do.)

8. B.J. Armstrong - During the second three-peat by the Chicago Bulls, this barrel-chested floor general fit in nicely with the rest of the team and provided me great memories.

7. Mookie Blaylock - Perhaps one of the most exciting point guards I ever saw play during a time when professional basketball was fun to watch. Fantastic at stealing the ball.

6. Chipper Jones - I hear bad things about his personal life, but I respect consistency from baseball players over long periods of time when done without steroids. Should his name appear of a list of steroid abusers some day, he will be immediately removed form this list. That'll show him.

5. Tim Hardaway - Though I think he needs to keep his mouth shut on television interviews, the best Hardaway to play in the NBA will always have a spot in my heart for his time with the Golden State Warriors and his part in Run TMC.

4. Fran Tarkenton - Didn't ever see him play in person, but admire his stats.

3. Phil Rizzuto - Though a member of the hated Yankees, again, stats and performance you have to respect.

2. Ron Santo - Horrible radio commentator, but a great player and a great guy. Deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

1. Pele - When you have only one name and I know who you are despite the fact that you play a sport I have absolutely no interest in the professional version of, you must be damn good at what you do...or did.

This week's cool-ass thing you will never own is a bowling alley. We all like bowling, maybe even secretly, but a pool or foosball table are way more realistically priced and much more likely to fit in your basement. Accept it.

This week's sign you are a nerd is that you regularly bring up something you heard on NPR to start a conversation. That radio in your car plays music, you know.

This week's nemesis is time. I have to spend so much of it doing stuff I don't like and hardly any doing stuff I do like. Also, it goes way too fast during the things I like. It's also making me older every day. What's up with that?!

This week's lesson learned is to be prepared for either cold or heat when venturing outdoors in October. Bring the jacket with but don't sport the flannel-lined jeans just yet.

This week's equation is:











Y represents age in years and P with the subscripted br represents the relative price of beer you regularly drink.

Finally, this week's Star Wars quote is: "Red ten, standing by."

Check back soon for more posts. The second part of our current story should be posted tonight (fingers crossed).

No comments:

Post a Comment