Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Try Not to Think About It

Regular readers of Transformer Generation Dad may already recognize that I have exercised a great deal of restraint in not posting every day in July about the month’s most anticipated event. In fact, I’ve only mentioned it in passing sometime in June and have allowed my excitement over it to languish near the bottom of our left hand column.

Regardless, it casts a shadow over everything I do lately. It is always there in the back of my mind. All of my willpower has been summoned just to avoid making too big of a deal out of it.

If you haven’t figured it out already, I am, of course, talking about this Friday’s release of (deep breath)…

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER

(gasp)

While I may look calm, cool and collected on the outside, save that patriotically colored outburst above, I am an emotional wreck on the inside. I am expecting an absolutely magical event. Picture Gandalf flying the Millenium Falcon flanked by Beholders and an army of Hawk Men from Flash Gordon armed with lightsabers through space and blasting crossed proton streams into the eye of the Kraken who subsequently explodes into red, white and blue fireworks that spell the word AWESOME. Did I mention there was a leprechaun riding Pegasus that you couldn’t see because he was wearing an invisibility cloak? Now imagine something ten times as magical as that and that’s how freaking magical I’m talking.

I fear I’m setting myself up for a crushing blow to my psyche should I be even slightly disappointed in the film’s quality.

I’m already looking up show times and waiting for them to be updated at my favorite theater before committing to purchasing tickets. Should they not be available there come Wednesday morning, I will have to go with my back-up theater just to ensure I see it on opening day.

Meanwhile, I plan on going out today and buying the Xbox 360 version of the Captain America: Super Soldier video game just to whet my appetite for all things Captain America. It’s a decision I’m likely to regret as I haven’t played a superhero movie based video game to date that I’ve been happy with, but it’s less expensive than purchasing that custom Captain America costume in my size on Ebay so I can wear it to the premier and far less damaging to my reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment