Monday, July 12, 2010

While Enjoying The Open Road, Try To Stay On It

Long drives result in great scenery. You end up crossing changing terrain and usually passing through multiple weather patterns. Emerging from a rainy area around the time the sun is setting can create some breath-taking skies.

On a long drive with my sons the other day, my youngest was practically perched on my shoulder the whole ride. He wanted to see everything. I finally let him sit in the front seat and I found myself glancing over to see the look on his face as he took it all in.

It reminded me of how I used to be at his age. Hell, I’m still that way.

In fact, I’m that way too often. There have been too many instances to count where I take my eyes off the road, while driving and try to point out some natural phenomenon to my wife, only to be rudely interrupted by the rumble strip along the side of the highway as it calls attention to the fact that I am slowly drifting off the road with its high pitched fart noise.

But anyway, it did my heart good to see my sons staring out the window as they passed trees and rock formations. While I felt the slight sting of fear at the yellow diamond signs that warned me of deer crossing, they expressed excitement at the potential of seeing a deer.

No matter how often you’ve driven a stretch of road, drive it again with a wide-awake, young, excited kid. You’ll either see things you never noticed before or you’ll remember feeling the same way the first time you drove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment