Sunday, September 5, 2010

I Put My Blood, Sweat & Tears Into This Week's Features

Happy holiday weekend. This week’s top five celebrates Labor Day by name my top five labor related movies:

5. New In Town: This cheesy romantic comedy has a story line involving unions and a small town factory dispute and even though you have to deal with Renee Zellweger’s scrunched up face, Harry Connick Jr. is as rugged and dreamy as ever.

4. F.I.S.T.: A union movie starring Sylvester Stallone when he was still a relatively serious actor.

3. Norma Rae: I must confess I’ve never seen this entire movie, only parts, but it and Sally Field won several awards, so it must be good.

2. On The Waterfront: Mob, not union related, but a great film nonetheless centered around dockworkers and starring Marlon Brando. Plus, you get to see the classic, “I coulda been a contender!” line.

1. Gung Ho: Ron Howard directing plus Michel Keaton while he still acted only in comedic roles plus Gedde Watanabe shouting, “No more rock ‘n roll! No more Twisted Sister!” and supporting roles played by George Wendt and John Turturro equals comedy gold. Oh, my dear, sweet 80s, why did you have to end?

This week’s cool-ass thing you will never own is a time traveling DeLorean. Finding a DeLorean within your price range and getting it up to 88mph won’t prove as tricky as locating a flux capacitor that can generate 1.21 gigawatts of power and the plutonium to run it. You’ll need to find an alternate method by which to escape those Libyan terrorists or fulfill your desire to meet the 1985 version of Lea Thompson portraying the 1955 version of Lorrain McFly.

You hold entire conversations using only text message abbreviations. OMG, WTF! LOL! ROTFL! Whatever happened to using full sentences? Half the time, my need to look up what the abbreviation means takes longer than any time saved typing. FML.

This week’s nemesis is the snooze alarm. I really need to just move my alarm clock across the room like I did in college so that my mornings look less like the opening credits montage of a movie where the parents are running around the house doing hilarious and quirky things to get their kids ready for school on time.

This week’s lesson learned is to only buy Nintendo DS games that involve single card multi-play so that your kids don’t argue daily about who gets more time with a specific game.

This week’s equation is:

F represents what my fantasy baseball score should be, k represents my lack of knowledge about current baseball trends and r is my reminder to edit my lineup prior to the week's deadline. The result, as you can see, is zero.

This week’s Star Wars quote is: “Only a Sith deals in absolutes.”

Enjoy the long weekend. As usual, thanks for reading. Tell your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment