Sunday, September 19, 2010

Madden(ing) 11

So, I've been playing Madden 11 for awhile now and have started to get adjusted to the Gameflow play calling system. I wanted to update you all on what I thought.

Once your personal settings are tweaked to your liking, the game does play faster. I'd estimate my average game as taking about two-thirds the length it used to. While saving time may be a important benefit of the new system, it isn't the only one.

I freely admit that flipping through the playbook just to get to the same ten plays over and over was tiresome. Now you get a little more variety, though you'll see certain plays repeat frequently. I think my play at quarterback has become stronger by being forced to run the kinds of plays that I wouldn't normally select to run.

It makes the game more challenging and more exciting as well. I actually feel a little stress every now and then as I scramble to get take a look at the play and then get the snap off in time. You have less time to audible out of the chosen play which is more realistic and I'm all about realism.

But there is one aspect of Madden 11 that nobody else will tell you about. Here at Transformer Generation Dad, however, we strive for honesty. We rarely achieve it, but we strive nonetheless and I'll be damned if we're going to stop trying now.

The most realistic thing about Madden 11 is that halfway into any relatively close game, you are going to want to reach into the earpiece of your headset and strangle your offensive coordinator. I can't tell you how many times I have screamed helplessly into my microphone (which I keep turned down in front of my mouth while playing for some reason as if anyone can hear me), "What the hell play are you running?!"

If that's not consistent with the real NFL, I don't know what more you could want.

No comments:

Post a Comment