Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Steve, I Hardly Knew Ye

It wasn't until the past five years or so that I became a fan of Apple.  I had resisted their products for a long time, considering them expensive.  I was also admittedly behind the times on knowledge of their ease of converting to PCs.  I remembered when "Mac or Windows?" was still a question that mattered when offering to send somebody a file.


Eventually, I broke down and bought an iPod, but ran iTunes on my older PC.  This often frustrated me to no end and had never been closer to hurling my computer out of a window.  My Windows PC was slow and rife with extra software that I never really needed, nor did I even remember installing.


Soon after my iPod purchase, my wife and I bought iPhones.  The snowball had already begun rolling downhill.  My wife was so impressed with the Apple products we had already purchased that she insisted we get an iPad shortly after they were released.


Who was I to say no?  Not a man who hears opportunity knocking and slams the door in its face, that's who.


Next it was time for a laptop upgrade for my wife.  Apple was her obvious choice, though I continued to scoff at her decision.  Then, after I started playing around with her Macbook anytime I could snatch it from her, I began hoarding money to finally replace out antiquated desktop and bought an iMac.  I haven't left the inviting glow of its screen since.  At least it feels that way.


Thus, in a few years time, we became an entirely Apple run household.  We have been nothing short of amazed at how fluidly this allows us to operate.  Each and every product is more sleek and intuitively user friendly than the last.  I began to wonder how I could have ever been so blind to the genius of the Apple products' design.


So, it is with great sadness that I found out just a short time ago (I sleep during the days, sue me) that long-time and recently retired Apple CEO Steve Jobs succumbed to his battle with cancer.


I didn't know much, if anything, about him personally.  I hadn't even been buying his products for very long.  But I'll be damned if the things he has given the world haven't changed them for the better.  My household looks way more like it is a wing on the Starship Enterprise now than it did five years ago, and that is definitely a good thing.  I thank Mr. Jobs for that.


May the signal be strong and clear.  May you sync quickly.  May you enjoy your place among the iClouds.


Rest in Peace, Steve Jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment