Sunday, April 29, 2012

I Can Hold Out 5 More Days...Can't I?

Back in the second half of 2007, when the first trailers for Iron Man were made available for public consumption, the wheels in my head started turning.


"An Avengers movie is possible," I reasoned with my brother.  "They already did the Hulk (though they did a better one later) so if they can just make stand alone movies for Thor and Captain America, they are set.  A few other side characters (Giant Man and Wasp, I had originally reasoned) could be added into the storyline somewhere along the way."


Months later, I went to see Iron Man but had not expected the big reveal in the hidden scene after the credits.  I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, a superhero film with the human side to his alter-ego exposed and as I sat through the end credits, reveling in what my eyes had just taken in, a few words changed my entire world.


"I'm hear to talk to you about the Avengers Initiative."


I gasped and flailed wildly for my wife's in the theater, not wanting to divert my attention from the screen lest some other mind blowing event might take place.


"Oh my God!  Did you hear that?  That mean's they're making an Avengers movie!" I nearly shouted.  At least that's what I tried to say, but the wheezing and gurgling that I emitted instead most likely left my wife thinking that I was having a synthetic butter flavoring induced stroke.


From that point on, I spoke about the possibilities of the impending Marvel mash-up at every opportunity I could find to squeeze it into a conversation.  I sought to educate interested moviegoers on which characters they might expect to see.  If someone was not a Marvel fan, I tried to show them the error of their ways.  I was a dedicated disciple, attempting to lead the masses toward what I was sure could be nothing less than superhero film salvation.


The four years that have passed since have been a blur.  Every personal and family memory gauged by the point on the developing story timeline at which it took place.  Like the Aztec calendar, my brain counted down the days until a life changing event when all other things would cease to mater any longer.  Every day from that to May 4th 2012 would be lived just to behold what was to be shown before me on a screen.


And now, that day has nearly arrived.  My family has been informed that I will be spending several hours in a theater this Friday and it is entirely up to them whether or not they would like to be there with me.  Either way, I will be in my seat well before the previews begin and there will be no bathroom breaks.  I have already begun stretching out my bladder tolerance with super-sized Mountain Dews and Double Gulps.  I will be a focused, movie watching machine by the time friday arrives...which cannot happen soon enough.


This may very well be the longest week of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment