Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Day Without Comics Or Video Games Is Like A Day Without Sunshine

I don’t need to tell any of you how busy one’s day can become while juggling a full time job and parenthood. Even those of you without kids have seen this. You may roll your eyes about having to hear it again, but deep down inside, you agree.

This is something I’m obviously well aware of and have come to accept. I know that my best laid plans may be hijacked by the needs of my kids. Whether it be a baseball game I forgot to write on the calendar or a school project that is far too complicated for a seven-year-old, something is bound to be waiting around the corner to spring out just when I think I have some extra free time and make me scramble around like I’ve got Icy Hot in my jock.

Prepare myself as I may for life’s little unexpected surprises, I still get a little sad when I realize I haven’t read a comic book or played a video game for several days. After one such day, I shrug and figure I’ll play the next day. Two days leaves me vowing and promising myself to get extra work done and stay up late if I have to in order to fill my desire. On day three, I’m downright irritable.

When it comes down to it, I feel like I’m denying something that makes me fundamentally me. A fish has to swim. A bird has to fly. A plant needs water and sunlight. A dog needs to sniff other dogs’ butts. A baseball player needs to scratch his crotch. Certain truths are undeniable.

If denied these things long enough, I become a shell of my true self. I am, for all intensive purposes, a zombie. Okay, minus the groaning, eating of human flesh, dirt in my suit and killer dance moves. But otherwise, very similar to a zombie, including skin tone.

I’m on an off week for Spider-Man and have already received and (of course) read my other monthly comics. This leaves little hope for any relief on the comic front. My only hope is to finish up this post as quickly as possible and attempt to navigate Sam Fisher through another level of stealth badassery in Splinter Cell Conviction.

I bid you adieu. If I don’t pop out of the shadows and snap someone’s neck very soon, I fear I will fade away.

No comments:

Post a Comment