Monday, May 17, 2010

Everybody Loves Drama

A quick post dedicated to you Marvel comics readers out there.

The Heroic Age is about to begin. This is what the writers at Marvel are calling the new story arc going on throughout the Marvel Universe. The good guys are going to be good guys again. Captain America is alive and no longer on the run. Thor is back in charge of Asgard. Norman Osborn is back in jail where he belongs.

All this is well and good, but it makes me realize something that, frankly, I'm ashamed to admit. I'm going to miss the drama.

I was sucked back in to comic books a few years back when all the craziness began. When the metphorical poop hit the proverbial fan. The Civil War and its madness drew me back in. The Death of Captain America made me want to know more about what was happening to my favorite heroes, having lost one (a don't know what you've got until it's gone moment).

Once I started reading comics again, I was treated to spectacular story lines like Planet Hulk (if you haven't read this series, do so immediately). I even researched backward to see the Avengers Disassembled, then reassembled and read House of M. Since then, I've been finding out people I trusted were really shape-shifting alien Skrulls and seeing the maniacal Norman Osborn placed in charge of global peace. Each new development made me go, "Whaaaaaat?!"

Now, however, it's all going to be the way it's supposed to be. No more Dark Avengers. No more criminals in positions of authority. No more watching heroes fight one another. Things are to be set straight.

I suppose that every now and then, the writers need to hit the reset button. They must look at what insane places the plot has lead them to and say, "Ok, we need to conclude this and start over fresh," and then write it into the story arc.

I understand and look forward to the Heroic Age. But, in the back of my mind, I now understand people's fascination with the Jerry Springer show just a little bit more. It's fun to watch the drama. It's like a train wreck, you can't help but look.

No comments:

Post a Comment