Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Heroes Day

Today, I would like to thank all those who have served in the military past and present. I would like to humbly offer my appreciation for your service, your dedication and your sacrifice.

As a guy who is very much into the toys his sons play with and the games they create in their imagination, I try to be as serious as possible when teaching my sons what it means to be a veteran. I want them to know that, as cool as they may be, it isn’t what it looks like in G.I Joe. It isn’t chasing your friends around and arguing over who shot who first. It isn’t the cliché jokes from the green Toy Story Army men.

Real soldiers go to war. Real soldiers put themselves in danger on behalf of a million people, most of whom they have never met. Real soldiers see things that most of us would never want to see and they come home and are expected to act like they didn’t see it. Real soldiers are real heroes and deserve our respect.

It’s not fun. It’s not pretty. And I thank God every day, not just today, that such men and women stand ready to protect our country.

Transformer Generation Dad offers a great big salute to all veterans.

Happy Veterans’ Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment