Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Happy Geek Pride Day!

Thanks to an app on my iphone entitled Today in Geek History, I was alerted that today is Geek Pride Day. I have no idea how long this has been going on, but I'm happy to hear it. The contradiction of Geek's having pride in who they are is something I try to promote and is one of the major reasons why I started this blog.

It's a fitting day, a fact I further discovered through this same app, because Star Wars Episodes IV and VI were both released on today's date thirty-four and twenty-eight years ago, respectively as was Back to the Future III (my favorite of the trilogy). Also, it is Towel Day, in honor of The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy.

With such a significant day in geek culture, I was reminded of a piece of artwork I saw at C2E2 this past year. It is a rendition of several iconic characters from various geeky franchises all working together to raise a flag with the word GEEK emblazoned upon it. The artists name is Ashton Gallagher and you can view the image here.

I encourage you to celebrate Geek Pride Day with me. Play some Dungeons & Dragons. Buy another adult a Lego set. Listen to the music of They Might Be Giants as you sit in front of your computer, immersed in your favorite MMO, getting up only long enough to go to the bathroom and heat up a plate of pizza rolls. It's your day!

And there is one extra thing to celebrate. I find it fitting that while most geeks are obsessed with numbers, Transformer Generation Dad posts its four-hundredth post today. Yes, this very post you are reading makes a nice even four hundred on this blog.

What better way to celebrate Geek Pride Day than by going back to the beginning and having a reading marathon with all four hundred posts tonight?

That was a rhetorical question. I didn't really want you to answer and tell me the thousands of things that would be better. Jezz, you geeks ruin all the fun.

1 comment:

  1. As one of the developers of Geek History, we're very happy to see you like our app (available for iPhone and Android)! As a "Thank You" we added a link to your blog at http://geekhistory.jebsapps.com/geekFriends.php

    ReplyDelete